My2c Worth

Simply a highly opinionated Aussie's outlet. Politics, environment, cars, motorcycles, stuff and things.

"Easily the second-greatest political thinker in his household." - anonymous

"...look, this is the sort of thing that all of us feel squeamish about..." - Tony Abbott, General Bastard nee Federal Health Minister

Friday, February 24, 2006

Premium fuels aren't worth the price.

A new RACV study demonstrates that the price differential between normal (91) unleaded and the premium unleaded (95 & 98) brands doesn't not cover the additional economy/power provided.

At the moment, I do use as high a octane rating in both car & bike that i can find. I do feel the response increase. However, I didn't think it was a losing game.

My previous car was a hotted-up 31 year old sports car with an aftermarket turbo. It barely ran at all on normal unleaded and was really tuned for Optimax. The g/fs previous car was an LPG Falcon.
Our current car is a 1995 japanese Pulsar econo-box.

Will I not bother with premium fuels? The car probably doesn't justify getting the nicer fuels anynre. However, I will still use it in the bike. I don't ride the bike purely for transport, so I'm happy to pay for a bit extra for that little bit extra oomph.

=my2c